Garden

Garden

Monday, June 28, 2010

Another one finished

I'm finally getting through the pile of books that has been waiting forever.

Bill McKibben's Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet was a head shaker. Shaking my head 'yes' that is.  This book is well written, with enough stats to support the arguments, but not so many as to drown you in numbers. Growing up in an agricultural area, with parents that taught us how to grow food, may make it easier for me to understand his arguments for increased local food production, in organic, sustainable ways. Mixed farming is not a common dinner topic and I have a feeling that Mr. McKibben is assuming a level of knowledge that his readers may not have. Although, as suggested in chapter 4, you can always use the internet to gather the knowledge you need. I loved his suggestion that the internet can be used to create 'community' in ways that our modern lifestyles do not easily allow. His arguments about moving 'back' in someways and 'forward' in other ways felt realistic and well thought through. I haven't read any of Bill McKibben's other works, but I think I'll be checking them out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that all comments are moderated.