Garden

Garden

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Wondering

It sounded like a simple question.
@barbaramcveigh thanked me for retweeting something of hers then asked "Has it been a busy summer in your library?" I responded with yes and how there were lots of families in town for sports camps and that the following week would be the local rodeo, which would bring in more people.
I think about that now and realize how differently our library operates from most others. With a community of about 4000 year round residents, 1500 temporary workers (3 months to a year) and a visitor count of almost 2 MILLION people each year, our plans always include a tourist component.
As we work on space planning for the library expansion I realize each and every space will have to have multiple uses depending on the time of day, time of year and individual needs. Noisy/quiet, young/old, individual/group needs all have to be met. Resident/temporary worker/tourist are also needs that have to be met.
Going through this process has been good for me. It has made me look at things with the "what else could this be used for" question in the for front of my mind. We do so many things right now that I don't want to muck that up...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that all comments are moderated.