Garden

Garden

Thursday, September 5, 2013

What Have I Done?

So a few months ago there was word going around Twitter about this MOOC (massive open online course) that would be starting in the fall called The Hyperlinked Library. It sounded intriguing and with Michael Stephens involved, it could only be good. So when the invitation to participate in the trial run of the course came out I submitted my name. So did A LOT of other people which meant that when I didn't get in to the MOOC I wasn't surprised.

Several days ago I was surprised to receive an email stating that due to drop outs and other issues there was now a spot for me. OH. (Looks at calendar, reviews MOOC schedule for next 12 weeks...) I had to think long and hard about joining now because, of course, I had other commitments I had made in light of the previous decline. What swayed me to go ahead and jump in are the same things that attracted me in the first place - the ideas, the people and the opportunity to try something new. Being free had a little to do with it too.

Having worked in my public library for over 10 years now, but without a degree, certificate or diploma makes me a rare bird in learning opportunities such as this MOOC. Many librarians are not very accepting of library clerks, often seeing them has competition, especially in the US, for their jobs. They have no experience with the homegrown library clerks who end up doing the jobs because small rural libraries can't afford, or attract (for various reasons), qualified librarians.

As I said in my course blog, I feel like the new kid in the class, looking cautiously around for a friendly face. I'm hoping once they get to know me it'll stay that way. I'm sure once my nerves settle down things will be fine.

Now to work out a schedule that will let me get everything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that all comments are moderated.