Garden

Garden

Friday, December 2, 2011

Reflection on Self Challenge

December has started so it is time to reflect on the challenge I gave myself for November. I was to post a picture and a blog post each day of the month, length did not matter.

It turns out posting every day was a challenge I could not meet. I started out poorly, which foreshadowed the rest of the month :-( I ended up with 16 posts out of 30 days, roughly 1 every 2 days.

Why didn't I make the challenge?
One reason was scheduling. My work schedule is erratic normally, but November was crazier than usual, with me covering for my boss a lot. Since I do have a life outside work, family and it's associated stuff (read housework) took precedence over personal stuff. I should have scheduled the blogging time into my day. Looking back, in the morning after tending the pets, would have been the perfect time to blog. No one else is up and the day hasn't gotten busy.
Another was gear. My everyday tools are my Blackberry phone, iPod Touch and my Dell laptop. A lot of my best photos are taken with my Canon camera. I didn't think about how and WHEN I use these devices. Yes I loaded the app on my iPod, but I didn't have it on my phone. My phone is not associated with my laptop, it's associated with our desk top computer. So I'd find myself taking pictures with my iPod and then being somewhere I didn't have wifi so I couldn't post. If I took the picture with my phone I had to email it to myself to get it to my laptop to post. (No I don't do email on my iPod) As we all know, if it ain't easy, most people won't do it. That was the trap I set myself.
Lastly, I don't think I had enough focus. I allowed myself to get distracted, to not "get'r done" as it were.

Thoughts-
I'd like to do it again. This time I'll put more thought into the "how" and "when". I did like the challenge of having a picture with each post. I'd definitely keep that part. Practice makes perfect, so I think I'll do another challenge in January or February. No point doing it in December when I know I'll be too busy. On the upside I did more blogging than ever before and I also learned how to use a few more blogging tools.
Was it a bust? No. Was it an overwhelming success? Not even close. But I'd do it again so that counts for something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that all comments are moderated.