Garden

Garden

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Small Town Libraries

What a busy night it was. Wednesdays are the days our inter library loans come in. We're averaging 10 cases a week and it can take a while to unpack and process them. The regulars start coming in about 4:30/5pm, before I've even got things unpacked.
Tonight I realized how satisfying it can be to know who something is for even before you scan it. Being able pull stuff off the shelf before people can ask for their items always gets a smile. Saying hi and knowing a person's name makes me feel good.
I am very luck to have the job I do. Not only do I get to connect with a wide range of people, but I also hear what's happening in town, the good, the bad & the ugly.
Another good thing about my job is the lack of boredom. Since we are a small staff we all have to be able to do what ever needs to be done. Sure we have a general division of responsibilities but any one of us might have to finish something that we don't regularily do. And there is always a "mystery of the day". Something that makes you shake your head and spend time trying to find out what happened, where it is, or who did it.
Being helpful can be quite rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that all comments are moderated.